Thursday, November 21, 2013

"Moonlighting"

It was something like this.

I awoke to the sound of my alarm at 3:45 this morning feeling sleepy but ready for my 10 mile training run.  It was the only time I could get it done today.  I dressed, prepped and was out the door at 4:15.  The air was cold with temperatures in the 20's.  The clear sky permitted the full moon and stars to light the night sky.  I eased into the 2 mile warm-up as I prepared my mind and body for the up-tempo 6 mile interval.  With the rest of the world sleeping, I had the road to myself.  The headlights of a rare drive-by gave itself away with plenty of time for me to move aside and share the road.  The beeping of my watch told me the warm-up was at an end.  It was time to go to work.  I quickened my stride and focused my breath making sure no hill would prevent me from maintaining my pace.  Fellow night-joggers on four legs bounded through side yards in groups of three and four.  I cleared my throat to inform them of my presence.  As I finished my turnaround loop and headed toward home, I caught the glare of a buck perched in a yard no more than 10 feet away.  With his maturing antlers showing like a side-arm, he gave me the familiar look I get from my 9 year-old boxer, Porter, that says, "what's next?"  I had no interest in playing his game and moved quickly but cautiously to the middle of the road.

Ok, it wasn't quite like this, but...

With my adrenaline rushing, I prepared for the final mile of my main set.  As I sprinted up a hill to keep my 6:20 pace, I recalled glory days on the grid-iron.  I've worked hard to slow the hands of time.  I whipped through the streets of Briarwood until another beep from my wrist told me my task was complete.  I eased into 2 miles of recovery that brought me back home.  It's time to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment