Friday, May 16, 2014

Kona Project Update: "Another Two Steps Back"

Unbelievably, one day after I publish a post about feeling good and looking forward to racing Columbia, I wake-up feeling not so good.  I awoke at 4:10 am feeling fatigue and a little achy. I persevered and made my way to the gym for my morning 3500 yd swim.  Although, everything about me was moving more slowly.  I kept second guessing whether I should've have even gotten out of bed.  I did my 800 yd warm-up followed by 4x50 yd intervals.  My stroke felt good, and I thought about continuing.  But, I could feel my body telling me that if I did, I would pay for it later.  So, after 1000 yds, I got out of the pool and went home.

Laura asked why I was back so soon.  I told her I wasn't feeling well.  At this point, it was about 5:50 am and between then and 6:30 I had gotten considerably worse and called off work.  I scheduled a doctor's appointment and went back to sleep.

At the doctor's office, the nurse took my temperature, 101.2.  I expected that based on how I'd been feeling.  The doctor examined me and concluded I probably have pneumonia.  Yep, freakin' pneumonia.  How about that for two steps back!

So, no Columbia this weekend.  I'm already feeling significantly better today.  The fever is gone, but I have to get this taken care of if I want any shot at being my best at Eagleman on June 8.  I'm doing my best to stay positive.  My body has told me once again, that I need more rest.  I will make sure I get it this weekend and then go from there.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment