Thursday, June 5, 2014

Kona Project: "The Hay is in the Barn"

The preparation is complete and it's time to race!

Sunday morning at 7:40 am, the horn will sound to start Ironman Eagleman 70.3 and my 35-39 age group.  As I think about it, I get butterflies in my stomach.  All the hard work over the past 8 months will be on display.

I am confident I will have a good day; a personal best in fact.  But, will it be good enough to compete for a Kona slot?  There is one slot allocated for each age group.  Any slots not taken will then be reallocated to the age group within that gender that has the most participants.  Since the 35-39 age group is one of the largest, there is a chance there will be two qualifying slots.

It pretty much breaks down like this.  I need to have a time of 4:15 or better.  30 min swim, 2:15 bike split, and 1:30 run split.  Throw in transition times and this becomes a worthy challenge for sure!

Laura and the boys will be there with my parents cheering me on.  It's awesome to have them making the trip with me.  It definitely provides a little extra motivation.

I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Will be sorry to miss seeing you race! Enjoy yourself, Ben. And just let your fitness express itself. Can't wait to see all your hard work pay off! We're cheering from Pittsburgh!!

    ReplyDelete