Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Kona Project Update: "A Week in the Life Of... Day 2"

Sunday 2/23/14

Sunday starts with a brief conversation late Saturday night with Laura about what my workout on Sunday and what time I'm getting up.  I told her I have a 15 mile run, which will take about 2 hrs.  I also wanted to go to the Trek of Pittsburgh Warehouse Sale that started at 8 am.  Then, I give her two options.  First option is that I wake up early, like 5 am, and do my run before going to the warehouse sale.  This means Laura would have to wake up with Luke, who never sleeps past 6:30 and might awake at 6:00.  However, it also means that Laura doesn't have to endure a full 2 hrs of taking care of both boys by herself.  The second option is I wake up with Luke, he and I go to the warehouse sale, and I do my run after when we get back.  This means Laura gets to sleep-in, but she has to endure the 2 hr run taking care of both boys on her own.  Here's what happen...

6:26 am: Luke gets up
Laura chose option 2 to sleep-in.  A good choice!  I got up with Luke.  We went downstairs for some cartoons and breakfast.  Cartoons range from "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" to "Sid the Science Kid."  We are selective in the shows he watches.  We want them to be entertaining, but have some educational value.  Breakfast for Luke consisted of an Eggo Multigrain waffle (no butter or syrup), blueberries, and milk.  He likes his waffles plain, and he eats them with his hands like a cookie.  I cleaned up a little from the previous night's family festivities by unloading and reloading the dishwasher, sweeping the floor, and wiping down the counters.  For breakfast, I had three Eggo Multigrain waffles with butter, syrup and blueberries on top, a bowl of Low Fat Cottage Cheese with sliced peaches in it, and a glass of apple juice.  Hey, I'm preparing for a 15 mile run!

7:46 am: Trek of Pittsburgh Warehouse Sale
I got Luke dressed and ready, and we headed to the sale.  Luke was very excited.  He loves going to the "bike shop."  Usually, we are going to "Top Gear" in Wexford, but I explained to him this was a different bike shop.  When we got there, he walked around like he owned the place.  An older woman even commented to me about how good of a helper he was.  He carried the tires I bought and loved pumping the new air pump.  After checking-out, we had to hit up a coffee shop so Luke could pee, and then we headed home.

10:00 am: 15 mile run
It was time for me to tackle the day's challenge.  A 15 mile run with the last 2-3 miles between 6:50-7:00/mile pace.  Last Sunday, I had the same workout and had no speed at the end of the run.  Today, it was 15 degrees warmer (32) and I was better prepared mentally.  I got dressed, went to the bathroom a couple times, got my nutrition ready, and was out the door.

It was a great morning for a run.  It was brisk, but the sun was out and there was some warmth to it at times.  I knocked out the first 7 mile loop around my house with no problem.  I knew the second 8 mile loop would present the tougher challenge, especially that fast finish.  Unfortunately, we live in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, which means there aren't many stretches of flat roads to run on.  Oh well, you do what you gotta do.  My overall pacing for the entire 15 mile run was 7:33/mile, and my last four miles were 7:09, 7:26, 7:15, and 6:53.  Hey, I'll take it!  On flatter terrain, I think I can hit the 6:50-7:00 goal.

I had a coughing asthma attack immediately following the run, but a couple puffs on the albuterol inhaler did the trick.  It's been a while since I've had an attack, but it subsided quickly.

12:00 pm: Lunch Time
Left-over pulled pork on multigrain bread with cole-slaw and a side of baked-beans.

12:30 pm: The Earth shook
Not really...but Luke and Matty actually napped at the same time.  I got to lay down for 40 minutes, then Matty woke-up.

1:30-4:00 pm: Playing with Matty
While Luke napped, Laura went to the mall, and I hung out with Matthew.  He did some serious playing sitting with me on the coach, then on the floor, then some tummy-time.  It was a lot of fun.  He was laughing and smiling the entire time.  He finished his play session by feasting on some Turkey & Rice baby food.  Hmmm.

4:00 pm: Dribbling with Luke
Luke has had a sudden interest in dribbling a basketball.  Our basement is unfinished with a concrete floor perfect for dribbling.  A lot of Luke's toys are down there including several basketballs.  Luke's cousin, Tyler, is 7 and plays basketball in the Riverview Athletic Association League.  On Saturday, when all the cousins were together, Tyler was teaching Luke and Rylen to dribble.  So on Sunday, we had to practice.  Luke and I dribbled in the basement for about 15 minutes before it turned into Luke playing with other toys and me cleaning up.

5:00 pm: Dinner time
Laura and I quickly agreed on "Sir Pizza" for dinner.  Quick, easy, and great pizza.  Two larges: one pepperoni and one mushroom so we can have left-overs.

7:00 pm: Bath and Bedtime for the boys
2-on-2, Laura takes Matty and I take Luke.  Bath, read books, and to bed by 7:48.  Good team work!

8:30 pm: Relaxing with Laura
After making my lunch and helping Laura get bottles ready for Monday, we sat down and watched the Olympic coverage about the look back at the Nancy Kerrigan/Tanya Harding saga.  Nancy Kerrigan awesome.  Tonya Harding not.

At 9:00, we watched the "Walking Dead."  I usually am going to bed at this time, but it just so happens that Monday is a day off from workouts.  So we stayed up and watched one of our favorite shows.  I won't spoil anything in case you DVR'd it.

10:00 pm: Bedtime

No comments:

Post a Comment